Have you ever had a project that you have wanted to complete for a long time but just haven’t done it? Well this is that project for me. I remember seeing a DIY wheat wreath on Pinterest 5-6 years ago and falling in love with it. It was the perfect wreath for fall and I wanted to try to make one. Well it went into the pinned but never completed pile, time went by and other projects came up.
This year after I figured out the color combination for my burgundy and mustard fall mantel, I knew that a DIY wheat wreath would fit in perfectly! Finally I would have one of my own. 🙂
This wreath was actually really easy to make until I got to the end part. That was a little tricky because the wheat is so prickly and sticky on the ends. Not sticky like candy, more like it feels like it has little tiny burrs that feel really weird and it ends up sticking onto your clothes, and rugs, and blankets… you get the idea. I hope that doesn’t deter anyone from trying it though because the end product is worth it!
*There are links to products in this post that I use or are similar to products I use. If you buy something from one of these links, I may make a small commission (with no additional cost to you) from the purchase. I will not recommend anything that I would not buy myself. Thank you for supporting my blog!
For this project you will need:
I got my wheat bundles at Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off so that helped to keep the costs down on the project. I initially thought I would be ok with one bag of floral pins but I ended up running out and used part of another bag.
When you get the wheat stems, they come really long. You will have to cut them down to a more manageable length. The stems are easily cut with a normal pair of scissors, you can even cut the whole bundle at once. I cut them so there was about 6-7” of stem left.
Taking about 4-6 stems at a time, I started pinning them to the straw wreath. It doesn’t matter where you start, you will make your way back around to that point eventually. You can just leave the plastic wrapping around the straw wreath, otherwise you will have straw everywhere. I pinned the bundles close to the top as you can see in the above picture.
Make sure you press the floral pin in as far as it will go to make sure it is snug against the wheat. Otherwise the wheat may slip out. Sometimes I felt like 2 pins were necessary. I also trimmed down the stems if they stuck out too far.
Follow the angles of the straw wreath. You will keep working around laying the new bundles on top of the previous ones. Don’t forget to add some the the side and inside edges of the wreath as well. You don’t want it to look bare there.
Keep checking it as you go along to make sure it is looking even overall and not too full or empty in places. It seemed easier for me to see this if I held it up and or had someone else hold it so I could look at it from a distance. Here is a badly lit picture I took of the wreath ¾ of the way done. It was getting late and I decided to call it a night. That was probably a good thing as I was soon coming to the tricky part at the end.
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the end part because I was so concentrated on finishing the wreath. You will need to pin new bundles underneath the ends of the beginning bundles. I found it helpful to hold the ends of the wheat out of the way as you are pinning new bundles down underneath. This is where the weird feeling and prickliness comes into play. Make sure you do this very gently as the ends of the wheat break easily and you want the wreath to look uniform, not with a bunch of broken ends on one side.
Another tip for the end is that it was easier to work with shorter stems. So I cut my bundles down to about 2-3” instead of the 6-7” like the rest of the wreath. After you are done, fill in any areas that look like they need more wheat.
I have read other tutorials where they sprayed the wreath with a matte acrylic spray at the end although I am not sure why you would need to do it, so I have not done that step yet.
I was really, really pleased with how it turned out, I love the fullness of the wreath! This is the most full DIY wheat wreath I have seen and I absolutely love it that way. I think it makes it look more expensive and not like a DIY project at all. Did I mention how much I love it? 😉
With getting the wheat bundles 50% off and using a 40% off coupon on the straw wreath and floral pins (yes I made multiple trips because I bought all the wheat they had on my first trip!), I believe the project cost me about $30. Not too bad considering buying one like this would be double that or more.
I can’t wait to see it on the front door as well. This may just move around the house all year long! It is too beautiful to store. Speaking of storing wreaths, I will have to show you my wreath storage system sometime that Mr. Wonderful made for me. It is awesome!
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! Let me know if you have any questions or comments, I love to hear from you! 🙂
Have a wonderful day!